Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Offline


I guess it was just a coincidence but it occurred two consecutive Saturdays. January 17th at around eight in the morning I deposited some money using the Automated Teller Machine (ATM) after my work shift.  The savings account is a payroll account where we get our salary 15th and 30th of the month.  Whenever I made transactions over an ATM, I made sure I get a receipt. I did not suspect something was amiss, as the machine accepted my deposit. After few seconds the tray where I put my money in, opened with instructions on the screen I have to get the bill the machine is not accepting. I thought of the slight dent on the bill.  I waited, I heard sort of rumbling sound, then on the screen I read HARDWARE ERROR!

I called the 24 hours hotline of my bank.  I was asked several security questions. The lady on the other line told me they will investigate the issue. I will get my money back possibly in three working days. Patience is virtue, I thought it is okay, I can wait I do not need the money for the time being. Tuesday, the 20th I checked my online banking. I received credit on my account for the deposit I made through the machine.

Saturday, the 24th
 of January. I was to pay my electricity bills and buy some groceries.  I went to an ATM machine, inquired my account balance. The screen reads my branch is temporarily having an update. I need to contact my branch. Gosh! My bank is not open on Saturday, Sunday and Holidays. I waited until twelve noon, checked several machines. I read on the screen the same error. I cannot wait the whole day. I have to report for work at nine in the evening, I need to sleep. I have work shift Saturday and Sunday.  My check book saved me for my electricity bills. I am not sure if I still have enough money to pay my electricity bills, but clearing will be Monday. I thought I should be fine to pay my electricity bills with my check.

I am aware the supermarket will not accept my check. Leaving few Pesos enough for my fare to go home, I used all the money in my wallet for my groceries.  Soon as I got home, I checked online while preparing lunch for me and my niece. My bank was offline.  I was upset, but I need to calm down. I slept for three hours then woke up for another working night. Lessons I learned, pay bills on time, never transact with ATM machine on none working days of my bank. 

No comments:

My blog list. What they are blogging about. ♥